As a caregiver, there is nothing worse than when a client falls and hurts themselves on your watch. Yesterday evening, while I was taking dinner out of the oven and Dot was making a phone call, Joe got up from his recliner on his own and somehow ended up falling face first on the bricks around the fireplace. Of all of the places that Joe could fall in the entire house; this was by far the worst!
The poor guy got a cut on his nose from the bridge of his glasses, as well as a nasty shiner under his right eye. I called 911 immediately, and they determined that they needed to take him to the ER because he needed some X-rays and a few stitches on his nose. Interestingly enough, when the paramedics were asking Joe questions to determine whether or not he may have had a concussion, Joe was answering each question with complete clarity. It was as if having his brain jarred on the brick floor momentarily knocked out the dementia. He told them his full name, where he lives, his address, the day of the week, everything!
When the paramedics asked him how he ended up on the floor, Joe said, “It was the darndest thing! One minute I was standing and the next minute I was belly-up on the concrete.”
Paramedic: “Where do you hurt?”
Joe: “Well, let’s see… My nose is bleeding like a stuck pig for one thing, and being that I can’t open my eye, I’m guessing that I have a pretty nasty shiner…”
Paramedic: “Yeah, you’re pretty banged up all right.”
Joe chuckled: “You should see the other guy!”
Pingback: Guardian Angel. | Joe and Dot